Learn more about our
101-1300 First Avenue
December is just around the corner and it is time to get into the holiday spirit! Take a look at our list (and check it twice) to find out the best activities to do around Prince George leading up to Christmas.
The Festival of Trees: This annual holiday event is a fundraiser for the Spirit of the North Healthcare Foundation where Christmas trees are auctioned off. There is a gift shop, craft corner for kids, live music and dancing, and other special events. This fantastic event ends on December 2.
Craft Fairs and Markets: A great way to do some Christmas shopping and support local is to head to a craft fair or market this holiday season. Click the link to see our blog post including a list of local craft fairs: Prince George Craft Fairs. If you’re looking for something a little different visit the local Omineca Holiday Market, on December 7.
Holiday performances: One of the best ways to get into the Christmas spirit is by checking out a holiday themed show. Wonderland presented by Cirque Musica is a concert and visual experience, taking place on December 15 at the CN Centre. Audiences will journey into a world of high-flying adventure with amazing acrobats, aerialists, hilarious hijinks and holiday cheer.
Check out a Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol presented by Judy Russell will take place from December 13 to 22 at the PG Playhouse.
The Prince George Symphony Orchestra will be performing Handel’s Messiah on December 15th at Vanier Hall.
Candy Cane Lane: Every year, the residents of McKenzie Avenue and Aitken Crescent turn their streets into Candy Cane Lane. Once the sun sets these locals turn on their lights to turn their neighborhood into a magical Christmas scene and invite the public to walk around and take in the holiday.
Railway and Forestry Museum Celebration of Lights: The Celebration of Lights is returning to the Railway and Forestry Museum this holiday season! Take a walk through time as you enjoy over 100,000 lights and displays throughout the eight-acre park. Several rail cars and coaches will be lit both inside and outside for you to enjoy. This event will run from December 18-24 and again from December 27-30. Admission is free of December 18 with donation of a non-perishable food item.
Special Hockey Games: On December 2, the Prince George Cougars will be holding their annual Un-Teddy Bear Toss with a new twist. Instead of stuffed animals, the Cougars are asking fans to throw warm winter clothes (in a bag) on the ice when the Cougars score their first goal. On December 14, the Prince George Spruce Kings are holding their annual Drop the Gloves Night. This annual event is similar to the Cougar’s game as the Kings are also asking fans to bring bagged warm clothes and toss them onto the ice when the Spruce Kings score their first goal.
Caledonia Nordic’s Santa Ski: Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus and their elves will be out at the Caledonia Nordic Ski Club on December 16. This great family event will give you an opportunity to check out Otway and see Santa! Non-members will need to pick up a free pass at the Rotary Lodge and everyone is encouraged to bring non-perishable food items, unwrapped gifts, or cash donations for the Prince George Salvation Army Food Bank.
Do you need a hot drink in a cozy café to escape the cold? Keep reading to find out our favourite coffee spots around Prince George.
Let us know you're favourite spot for a warm beverage!
Want to check out some great local vendors?
Keep reading to see the locations of the upcoming Craft Fairs in and around Prince George.
See one that’s missing? Let us know and we we'll add it to our list!
Nov 9-11: Elks Community Hall – PG Holiday Makers Market
Nov 10-11: Handy Circle Resource Centre at the Aimhi - Prince George Association for Community Living
Nov 11-12: DP Todd Secondary School
Nov 17-18: Nukko Lake Community Hall
Nov 17-18: Ferndale Community Hall – East Line Market Craft Fair
Nov 17: Immaculate Conception School
Nov 24-25: Kelly Road Secondary School
Dec 1-2: Duchess Park Secondary School
Dec 1: Two Rivers Art Gallery – Artisans Fair
Dec 15: Winterfest Market (Civic Centre)
The snow has started to fall, but there’s still lots of activities to do before it sticks. Keep reading to learn about the six things you should do before the ground is covered in the white stuff!
Visit Cottonwood Island Park – This 32-hectare park has trails that wind along the Nechako River and tree bark carvings along many its paths. Take advantage of the low streamflow and walk across the river. You may even be able to reach Goat Island!
Go Fishing – Did you know there are more than 1600 lakes and rivers within a 100km radius of Prince George? Before you head out, stop by Tourism Prince George and borrow a fishing rod, basic tackle, a life jacket, and our handy Top 10 Fishing Destinations brochure.
Check out the Ancient Forest/ChunT’oh Whudujut – Located approximately 115km east of Prince George, the Ancient Forest is a great place to visit in the fall! The universally accessible boardwalk provides access for people with all abilities to this thousand-year-old forest filled with western red cedars and over 400 plant species.
Try Horseback Riding - Horseback riding offers a new way to experience the beauty of being outdoors. While riding, let your horse pay attention to the trail, so you can focus on the nature around you. Allow yourself to soak in the experience in a magnified way. El Shaddai Ranch, about 15 minutes south of Prince George, is a great place to get in the saddle. They will remain open until the snow sticks!
Visit Masich Place – If you haven’t had the chance to check out the newest sport facility in Prince George be sure to do it soon! Masich Place will be closing on November 10, 2018 (provided there isn’t a large snowfall before then) for the winter. Click here to see what events are happening and when it’s open to the public: Masich Place
Go for a Bike Ride – Although fat bikes are now available to help navigate through snow, if you want to get out with your summer ride, you should hurry. Not sure where to go? Stop by Tourism Prince George and we’ll help you find the perfect spot for a pedal.
If you’re looking for specific events check out our website: tourismpg.com/events
About Tourism Prince George
Tourism Prince George Society is a not-for-profit society that operates as the destination marketing/management organization within the city of Prince George. Our team works closely with our local tourism partners to develop innovative campaigns that will drive visitation to Prince George.
We are seeking a passionate, creative and detail-oriented individual to join our dynamic team. Reporting to the Manager, Marketing & Communications, this position will create and maintain marketing content and assist with corporate communications in alignment with Tourism Prince George’s corporate strategies and marketing plan.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create compelling written and visual content for online and print communications
• Manage and monitor daily social media account activity and engage community users (locals, future visitors, current visitors and past visitors) on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and other channels
• Track daily social media activity and adjust content to improve impact
• Coordinate online contests and giveaways to reach new users and retain current ones
• Coordinate paid search and banner advertising spaces
• Assist in the coordination of familiarization and media tours
• Aid in the collection and organization of digital assets
• Create and maintain stakeholder database
• Maintain website content including Tourism Prince George’s event calendar
• Create and maintain stakeholder relations and communications content for business to business development through the distribution of the Society’s monthly e-newsletter
• Encourage the use of social media by local stakeholders, as well as educate and assist them with initial planning and implementation
• Represent Tourism Prince George at industry trade shows, events and festivals and assist in the coordination of the same
• Sell advertisements for the Official Prince George Visitor Guide and assist in the production and distribution of the same
• Coordinate the sales of the Milepost display advertising
• Assist with Tourism Prince George’s industry events such as the Northern BC Tourism Summit, Tourism Week events, industry workshops, and stakeholder meetings
• Post-secondary degree or diploma in marketing, communications, or a similar program
• 2+ years experience in marketing, communications or relevant field; experience in the tourism
industry is considered an asset
• Possess a strong understanding of digital and traditional marketing tactics including display media buying, copywriting and social media
• Comfortable using a variety of social media tools for business such as Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest
• General understanding of current online and traditional marketing concepts and best practices
• Knowledge of SEO techniques and CMS (Drupal) administration
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work with cross functional teams
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Commitment to quality and accuracy of work
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects and areas of responsibility
• Exceptional knowledge of Microsoft Office software: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Desire to exemplify outstanding customer service
• Knowledge of web and social analytics software such as Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Nitrogram and Hashtracking considered an asset
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs an asset
• Fluency in another language and/or photography/videography experience considered an asset
• Ability to travel (overnight) for tradeshows and other industry events.
• Clean, class 5 Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Tourism Prince George at email@example.com by Friday, November 9th, 2018 at 4:30 pm. No phone calls please.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest; however only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.
Halloween is just around the corner and Prince George is ready to get spooked!
Keep reading to learn about five events that we’re excited for, including Two Rivers Gallery’s annual fundraising party!
1. Menagerie: Adrift in Space: The eighth incarnation of the Two Rivers Gallery’s Halloween fundraising event is happening on October 27. Join them for an evening filled with entertainment, food, fun, and games.
2. Halloween Spooktacular: Enter the homestead...if you dare! This bone-chilling, hair-raising event is taking place on October 26 and 27 at Huble Homestead! Find a flashlight, make sure your footwear is waterproof, and put together a costume to handle the elements.
3. Haunted Maze: Prince George's haunted maze is back for another year in the 4-H Barn at the CN Centre Fairgrounds. Admission is by donation with monetary donations going towards PG Search and Rescue and food donations going to St. Vincent de Paul.
4. College Heights Community Association Halloween Haunted Journey:
Come enjoy some spooky fun on Saturday October 27th at the Columbus Community Centre. The popular Cake Walk returns with some new
Halloween games and a haunted house!
5. “Paint the Town Red” Old Hollywood Style: On October 27 you can have a great dinner, enjoy some dancing and support a great cause! Positive Living North is hosting their “Paint the Town Red” night at the Coast Inn of the North – prize for best costume!
This contest has now closed! We would like to thank everyone who submitted a form.
If you would still like to attend the Northern BC Tourism Summit, click the click below to head to their website!
Want to keep up on the latest and greatest in PG? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter below:
The Institute for Canadian Citizens' Cultural Access Pass allows newly sworn-in citizens to visit participating attractions for free, for one year.
Find out how to register for free access to over 1,200 of Canada's best museums, art galleries, discovery centres, historic sites and nature parks - then pick yours up at our visitor centre!